Saturday, March 8, 2014

Ashes to go...

I was a little surprised on Wednesday of this past week (and definitely pleased) to see news reports of a number of places around northern California where “Ashes To Go” or “Ashes on the Run” were being offered at transit hubs and on sidewalks outside of churches or even at busy intersections.  Included in one of these stories were the pastors at St. John’s Lutheran in Sacramento, one of the churches I serve as bishop.  Check out this link to a YouTube Video that tells the story better than I could: Ashes to Go -- St. John's, Sacramento

Why was I pleased?  It probably has a lot to do the journey I’ve had with Ashes in my life and ministry.  32 years ago, I imposed Ashes for the first time.  I was an intern pastor serving at Our Redeemer’s Lutheran Church in Maplewood, Minnesota.  We were planning for Lenten worship services (sometime before Christmas, as I remember), and when I asked where the ashes were stored for imposing ashes on Ash Wednesday.  I got a blank stare from the Music Director and my Supervisor.  “Um, ashes?” they asked.  “Yes, Ashes,” I said, “as in ASH (get it folks?) Wednesday.”

To their credit, neither put the kibosh on the idea.  In fact, I was encouraged to put together a liturgy for the service, but was told by my supervisor that he would not be imposing ashes.  I remembered from my Liturgics class that we were supposed to burn the palms from the prior Palm Sunday to make ashes, but that was not an option.  This particular congregation used Pussy Willows instead of Palms on Palm Sunday (which may be the subject of a future blog about my time at “Our Lady of Liturgical Sorrows”). 

“What to do?” I thought.  There weren’t too many Palm Trees in Minnesota.  So I called up my friend, one of the priests who worked down the street at Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church.  We had collaborated on regular fellowship and pre-baptism classes for Lutherans and Catholics who broke all the “rules” and followed their hearts by getting married, usually to the consternation of parents and grandparents.  Fr. Michael Joncas (yep, THAT Fr. Michael Joncas) was only too happy to help when I called and asked if I could borrow a cup of ashes.  I took a margarine container from the Sunday School and met him in the sacristy of PBVM – “what a neighborly thing for Fr. Michael to do,” I thought; “I will be sure to let him borrow some Lutefisk from our annual Smorgasbord should he ever have a death wish.”

Ashes at the ready, I proceeded to plan and “advertise” the service, which would be the first time ashes would EVER have been imposed in this congregation.  I made sure (at the suggestion of my supervisor) to list this as an optional part of the service, both in the bulletin and in the welcome that evening.  When it was time to invite people forward for an ash cross to be traced over the same place where they were “crossed” at their baptism, I nervously waited to see if anyone stood up to leave the safety of their pew.  Surprisingly, more than half of the people came forward, and as I was marking the last person in line with the words “Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return,” my supervisor stood up, came forward, bowed his head with a slight smile, and received his ashen cross.  Realizing I hadn’t received one myself, I asked if he would “cross” me – which he did.  I have imposed ashes, and been imposed upon, each year since then.

Some might say “Ashes to Go” doesn’t offer a person receiving their cross the full benefit of a worship service in which this act of penitence is nestled.  That may well be true.  But I believe it is a helpful invitation to those who might not otherwise have considered connecting with a long neglected part of their faith life from the past, or discovering something new and meaningful about what a cross of ashes might say to them today.  Watch the video -- see the connections being made, hear the appreciation for people being met where they are, listen as invitations are made to those who might not have believed such an invitation could ever be meant for them.  I’m imagining the conversations which led pastors and staffs to consider offering “ashes to go” this year were not unlike that which I had with my trusted co-workers many years ago.  Thanks to those who believe that God’s imagination for reaching out and offering a gracious welcome may well be beyond our imaginations or comfort levels.  Thanks for this faithful witness to the power of the Cross to change our lives – inside and out.

Pax,
Bp. Mark


1 comment:

  1. Bishop Mark. When we came to Trinity Lutheran, Fresno (Robin's home church) in 1984, one week before Lent started, as a the newbie staff and green music director, I asked the same question. This, of course, was an Augustana church (out west), but there was no doubt there would be no Ashes. So Robin and I went to the 7:30 am Service at St. James Episcopal Cathedral, one block away, and were smudged. For whatever reason, the next year, after discussion, many of our Worship and Music Committee going to a Worship Conference in San Diego that summer (1984 - year of the LA Olympics) we had ashes the next year on, Ash Wednesday (seems so logical you might want to use Ashes if you still have it in the name!) Renewal came in bits and pieces those years. That was the same group and same year we started inserting 'The Peace' into the service and even occasionally including the Ecumenical Lord's Prayer.

    ReplyDelete